Saturday, January 21, 2012

PLANES or TRAINS?

For most folks this question is easy to answer.
They respond: "planes of course", then gaze at me
with well-intended pity for my misguided preference.

I used to feel the same way, however I've taken more trains
over the last few years and I am now an enthusiastic advocate.

Friends and trusted kinsmen often ask me to explain this
preference, so here is a list of strengths for each form of travel:

PLANES: Faster! Safer than cars.

TRAINS: Less expensive, larger seats, footrests, larger windows,
can move around any time, can stand by the bathrooms, multiple
plugs for laptops and cell phones. Safer than cars.

CARS: More independent! More destinations!

The number one reason for NOT taking trains is time. Many businesses
depend on fast transit for their employees. Planes make this possible
over great distances. Cars are almost essential for short distances.

Most people don't have much vacation time or travel only on weekends,
and we want to enjoy our destinations as much as possible. We are
often willing to endure difficult journeys to do so.

The cost of food is not a factor (though many people are wary of this cost
on trains). The truth is that food on trains doesn't cost any more than
food in airports or food at restaurants along the road.

The number one reason FOR taking a train is that the experience
of the journey can be relaxed and enjoyable. As airport security
has increased, the flying experience has become oppressive.

If I have the time now, I'll take the train. If I don't have the time
or the train doesn't go to my destination, the plane or a car (or the bus)
are still options. However if I have a chance to enjoy myself, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment